Cheers to patio season in St. Louis!
No matter how you spend your summer days in the STL, chances are you make it to a few patios at some point. This year, we are encouraging homeowners to spend just a little bit of time setting up their own patio paradise right in their very own backyard. That way, you are just steps away from a patio you can enjoy this spring, summer, and fall. Take in a few set-up ideas below to be on your way to an elevated backyard oasis, without spending too much time or money on your patio makeover.
Best Patio Ideas for St. Louis Homes
- Bring a fan outside. It’s no secret that summer in St. Louis gets very hot and humid. You also have mosquitoes to deal with, which love to come out just as happy hour starts. A simple way to keep a cool breeze moving and pesky mozzies away is with a fan. You can go all out with a built-in fan or just bring a simple tabletop oscillating fan near your entertaining area.
- Shade. Think about creative shade ideas for sunny spots. A simple patio umbrella can go along way to protect yourself from the sweltering summer sun. You can also use a large shade sail which can be found on websites like Wayfair for under $100. Sail shades are great because they shade over large areas without permanent installation so you can store over winter months.
- Patio Accessories. Fun patio accessories like outdoor rugs, lanterns wall decor or curtains can go a long way to adding color, texture and style to your backyard patio. We recommend a few strategically placed citronella oil tiki torches or tabletop burners to continue to keep mosquitoes away from your patio party. If you have kids or lots of pools toys floating around you can keep things organized with an outdoor storage deck box.
- Fire it Up. Even in summer, it’s nice to have a fire going. Invest in a built-in outdoor fireplace or fire pit or you can always start with a portable fire pit or even a unique fire sculpture. Fires are great for keeping cozy on chilly nights or simply for ambiance in summer.
- Happy Hour Heaven. Bring happy hour to your home with a little patio planning! A 3 piece bar set is all you need to create a happy hour vibe in your own backyard. Or, you can create a more relaxed lounge area with outdoor furniture and side tables or beverage trays. Then, add bistro lighting and a little music and you don’t even need to leave the house!
- Don’t Forget Beautiful Plants! Just a few simple different sized containers filled with easy to care for plants can go a long way in making your patio feel inviting. The best plant choices will depend on the amount of sun vs. shade your patio receives. We like high impact plants like Elephant Ear, Hardy Hibiscus, or Lantanas.
We hope you feel inspired to spend a little bit of time getting your patio space ready. Those looking for more dramatic changes to their backyard may want to consult with our landscape design team for big changes like a brand new patio, new pergola installation, new retaining wall, outdoor kitchen, water features, and more. One of our designers will meet with you to discuss your ideas and offer recommendations that will best match your lifestyle and needs. They are experts in creating beautiful landscape designs that work for your yard and our natural environment.
To get started with a larger landscape design/build project in St. Louis with our team, we always recommend you check to see if you are in our service area. We work in Creve Coeur, Clayton, Ladue, Kirkwood, Webster Groves, Central West End, Chesterfield and more. However, we currently don’t have the bandwidth to take on new projects located in St. Charles, Wildwood, or Crestwood. Then, when you’re ready to begin you can start by filling out our 5 Minute Landscape Design Survey here. This helps us understand important details about your yard and vision for your outdoor space ahead of your first design consultation. Thank you for reading and enjoy summer in St. Louis!